All you had to do was read her works and see many twisted themes: mind rape, rape of someone that wasn’t mentally capable to fight back, orgies – usually under the influence of some sort of incapacitation, and women stabbing other women in the back. It was Harlequin romance, “women liking a dominant male” bullshit masquerading as cutting edge fantasy.
Read her stuff back in the late 1970’s and said, “uh no thanks.” Didn’t see any feminist themes there at ALL. So not surprised by the recent revelations. Not surprised by people who never really lived with the woman now qualifying the woman’s daughter wouldn’t KNOW she was molested! Same shit that Dylan gets about Woody Allen.
Stop with idolizing and excusing your “heroes” for atrocious acts: Woody Allen, Joe Paterno, Jerry Sandusky, and all the other weirdos. There are plenty of signs out there to see what these people think inside. If you wish to excuse monsters, go ahead. Don’t be surprised though if one of those monsters molested your child.
Get the facts and pull your head out of the sand:
- 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse;
- Self-report studies show that 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident;
- During a one-year period in the U.S., 16% of youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
- Over the course of their lifetime, 28% of U.S. youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
- Children are most vulnerable to CSA between the ages of 7 and 13.
Don’t think it can happen to you in nice little suburbia? One of my Girl Scout girls had been sexually assaulted by a family friend at the age of 4 and it went on for two years. Don’t delude yourself people – these monsters are living on your block.